They believed the gods and goddesses looked after them by day.
1) They prayed to the gods and goddesses in the hope that they would be rewarded.
2) They wrote their prayers down on stones.
3) They made carvings of ears hoping their god would listen.
Name of the god or goddess
Kind of the god or goddess
Reason to believe the god or goddess
|1) Re||God of the Sun||He was seen as the creator of all things and the supreme judge.|
|2) Sakhmet||Lioness headed goddess||She was a war goddess and a supporter of Re.|
|3) Osiris||God of the underworld||He was also god of the Nile flood and of growing plants.|
|4) Isis||Mother goddess||She protected the coffins of people who died and was a mourner (express sadness) at their funerals.|
|5) Bastet||Cat goddess||She was the daughter of Re, the Sun god. She was a kind and generous protector.|
|6) Anubis||The god of funerals|
1) They held festivals for the gods and goddesses at different times of the year.
(These were holidays when people could enjoy themselves)
2) They wrote their praise to the god or goddess on stones.