We can group materials into insoluble and soluble. Soluble materials dissolve in liquids whereas insoluble materials don’t dissolve in liquids. However, sometime we have to separate insoluble materials from some mixtures. For example, separating tea leaves from a mixture of tea or separating boiled noodles from water. This lesson teaches you how to separate such insoluble materials from different mixtures.
By sieving or filtering
1. To strain rice or noodles to separate it from the water
2. To filter a mixture of coffee made using ground coffee beans
3. To filter a mixture of tea made using tea leaves
1. Put the ground coffee into a filter paper in a special holder.
2. Now pour hot water over the coffee.
3. The filter paper will allow the water and coffee solution to pass through into the cup, while the none dissolve coffee grounds are left in the filter paper.