Through this lesson let’s learn about some minerals, fibre and water in our food.
Just like vitamins, mineral containing food help your body grow, develop, and stay healthy.
Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Zinc are some of the minerals in our food.
1) They help to build strong and healthy bones and teeth. (E.g. – Calcium)
2) They help to carry oxygen throughout the body by forming ‘hemoglobin’ in red blood cells. (E.g. – Iron)
3) They keep your muscles and nervous system working properly. (E.g. – potassium)
4) They help your immune system, which is your body’s system for fighting off illnesses and infections. (E.g. – Zinc)
5) They help with cell growth and helps heal wounds, such as cuts. (E.g. – Zinc)
Another name for fibre is roughage. Also, foods rich in fibre are called fibrous food. Foods with fibre are really good for you and your bowels. Fibre is found in plants and can’t be digested. So, it helps clean out your intestines by moving bowel movements along.
Like food, water is also essential.
Our body needs water.
You can get enough water by drinking water, milk and other liquids and from our food.