Coasts are place where the land meets the oceans and seas. (If a country has the sea as its neighbour that country has a coast)
The world has about 320,000 km of coastline. The British Isles has about 14,000 km of coastline.
Some of the famous coasts in the world are listed below.
The seashore is the boundary between the land and the sea. This boundary is also called the shore or the shoreline.
Landforms are natural physical features of the Earth’s surface such as mountains, rocks, sand dune, valleys etc.
Examples for landforms at the seashore
Also read the lesson Coastal Landforms to learn more about landforms at the seashore.
Each of these landforms is shaped by the wind, waves, tides, and currents.
1) These landforms yield (give way) a variety of habitats, or environments for plants and animals.
2) Some of these landforms such as coral reefs prevent sea waves coming into the land.
The beach is a gently sloping strip (narrow piece) of land bordering an ocean or other body of water.
Beaches are formed by the action of rivers, waves, currents, tides, and wind and they are usually covered with sand, shingle (gravel) or pebbles.
Beaches change shape from day to day and season to season. Waves, tides, currents, and the wind sometimes broaden a beach by depositing sand and sometimes narrow a beach by carrying sand away.
A new land is formed by tiny pieces of rock that the water has carried from the other parts of the coast. Tiny pieces of mud and sand are swept along by the river and gradually settle on the bottom as the river’s current is slowed by the incoming waves of the sea. Over many years, the particles form large areas called mudflats. Eventually, these may form new land.
1) To enjoy holidays, sports and leisure activities
2) To make ports for ships and fishing boats
3) To get fish and other seafood
4) To get salt, oil and natural gas
1) For several human activities
E.g. – Recreation (leisure activities), waste disposal, shipping, commercial fishing etc.
2) The residential development
3) The industrial development