This lesson, microorganisms for kids, will teach you about a great deal of the extremely tiny organisms that can only be seen through a microscope.
Microorganisms are very tiny living things that can be seen only with a microscope. They are single-celled organisms such as bacteria. They can help you or hurt you. You need a microscope to see them.
Another name for microorganisms is Microbes
Microorganisms that cause diseases and make us ill are often called germs.
Microorganisms can live all around us, in the air, in our bodies and in water.
Some micro-organisms are harmful to us, but others are helpful to us.
Mushrooms – Some mushrooms can be eaten. There are many colourful kinds of fungi which are poisonous, although they do help materials to decay away, but they cannot be eaten.
Moulds – Moulds are small fungi, which cause bread and other organic materials to decay away.
Click here to learn more about microorganisms.