This lesson is about Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs and Queens. It teaches you important facts about kings and queens of ancient Egypt.
List of Ancient Egyptian Kings
a) Ramses II
b) Thutmose III (tutmos)
c) Amenophis III
d) Amenhotep III
List of Ancient Egyptian Queens
a) Queen Tiye
b) Queen Hatshepsut (hashepsut)
c) Queen Cleopatra
a) Queen Tiye
Queen Tiye was an educated queen in Ancient Egypt. She was one of the wives of the pharaoh Amenophis the III.
Where did she come from?
She came from Nubia which is south of Egypt.
How did archaeologists find that queen Tiye was educated?
Archaeologists have found a library of books on poetry, history, science and religion belonged to her.
b) Queen Hatshepsut
Who was Queen Hatshepsut?
1) Queen Hatshepsut’s father was a pharaoh and so was her husband.
2) When her husband died she made herself ruler.
What did she do during her reign (period in power)?
1) She ordered many fine temples to be built.
2) She ordered some huge obelisks to be built.
3) She sent some Egyptians on a trading expedition (journey) to a place called Punt.
What were obelisks?
1) Obelisks were stone pillars.
2) Obelisks were built by cutting granite.
3) Obelisks were 30 metres long and weighed 390 tons each.
4) Huge boats were built to carry obelisks down the river from the quarry.
Where were obelisks built?
At Karnak in Egypt
What did Egyptians take with them for the expedition?
What did they bring back?
How did archaeologists come to know about this expedition?
The expedition is recorded in pictures on the walls of Queen Hatshepsut’s temple.
Where was Queen Hatshepsut’s temple built?
At Deir el-Bahri
Also, read more about Ancient Egypt