Most foods contain carbohydrates. We also call them ‘Energy giving food’. Our body breaks down ‘energy giving food’ in order to give us energy . However, too much of some energy giving foods are not good for your health. In this lesson, we’re going to talk about the two types of carbohydrate containing foods.
Two Types of Carbohydrates
There are two major types:
1. Simple carbohydrates (Sugar)
2. Complex carbohydrates (Starch)
Food containing Simple carbohydrate (Sugar)
- White sugar you would find in a sugar bowl
Food containing sugar
Food containing Complex carbohydrates (Starch)
- Corn and other grain products
List of other carbohydrate rich food
But remember, some of these are unhealthy high carbohydrate foods. Too much of them are not good for your health.
How does the body use energy giving food?
- Your body breaks down the carbohydrate into sugars and starches to make a very simple kind of sugar called glucose.
- Glucose goes into your bloodstream.
- Your blood carries glucose to your brain and your muscles for energy.
Likewise, you can get the energy to do your work by energy giving food.